You’re prepared for the FRM exam. But are you prepared for the actual day?
Knowing and preparing for the logistics of exam day can make a lot of difference in your exam – you may not even be allowed in, or get your exam invalidated if you haven’t prepared the right items to bring to the exam.
To help you on your way to a smooth-sailing FRM exam day, here are 5 points that you must check off before you head off to exam day. Good luck!
2. Arrive early. Doors to the exam are closed at the exact time, and unlike the CFA® exam, you will not be admitted in if you are late. GARP recommends that you arrive at least one hour earlier, so plan ahead. You’ll need time to settle down, find a place for your belongings, a quick bathroom break, and assorted other unforeseen bits before your exam.
3. Have your correct exam-approved identification. For the FRM exam, only a government-issued drivers license or passport will be accepted as identification. Additionally, check these points on your ID to make sure it will be accepted on exam day:
- Your ID must be original, current, non-expired and valid
- If you’re using a drivers license, the license must be issued by the same country in which you are taking the exam in.
- Your ID must include a photograph of you.
- The name on your identification should be an exact match to the name on your exam ticket. If this does not match, contact GARP member services as soon as possible – their email is firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out this page for more contact details.
- The Texas Instruments BA II Plus (both versions), including the BA II Plus Professional
- Hewlett Packard 10B II, 10B II+, 20B
- Hewlett Packard 12C, including the 12C Platinum and the Anniversary Edition
Again, there are no exceptions. If you use a non-authorized calculator at any time during the exam, your answer sheets will not be graded.
Tip: You can bring a spare calculator! You can bring up to two calculators to the FRM exam. However, you can only keep one on your desk at any time – the other must be turned completely off and placed face down under your seat.
Packing Tip 1: Items you can bring with you to the exam room. You may keep the following items under your seat, preferably in a transparent plastic bag, during the FRM exam: wallet (money purse), calculator, batteries, additional calculator, eyeglasses, earplugs, medicine, tissues, other medically necessary or personal items, and food and drinks (all food and drinks must be consumed outside the testing room). Cellphones must be placed facedown and turned completely off.
Packing Tip 2: What about your other stuff? Personal belongings (e.g., coats, bags, luggage, etc.) and any other miscellaneous items must be left in an area designated by the proctor. Candidates will not have access to these items during the Exam but may access them during lunch or at the conclusion of the FRM exam. As these are left at your own risk, we recommend bringing and using a lock!
Good luck for your FRM exam day! Questions? Drop them in the comments below!