CFA CFA Level 1 How to postpone your CFA exam

Logistics

How to postpone your CFA exam

  • This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun-21 by Zee Tan.
  • Author
    Posts
    • Up
      58

      Hello 300 hours Team 😊

      I have registered for the July exam and would like to postpone it to either August or November. I have called CFA several times but did not get through and have also emailed them 2 times.

      I was wondering if you had the same question asked and could help me in this regard.

      Many thanks!

      Maike

      Zee Tan voted upsonalwadaye voted upCynthia voted up
    • Up
      5

      Also, what should be don when I have mailed CFA institure my covid reports and not received any answer from them?

      Zee Tan voted up
    • Up
      0
      I have my Level 1 exam scheduled on July 19 – but due to the pandemic I can’t appear for it. How can I withdraw and take it in August instead? Thank you.
      • Zee Tan
        Keymaster
        Up
        0

        So if you can’t show up for the exam, i.e. if you literally have Covid, or government lockdown, etc, you should be able to reschedule without incurring any further cost.

        If you prefer not to show up for the exam, e.g. if you’re worried about Covid exposure, unfortunately CFA Institute would not allow you to reschedule without losing your registration fee.

    • Zee Tan
      Keymaster
      Up
      0

      Hi Maike

      Whether or not you can postpone your exam depends on your reasons.

      If you can’t show up for the exam, i.e. if you literally have Covid, or government lockdown, etc, you should be able to reschedule without incurring any further cost. There are also some exceptions made for e.g. death or serious illness in the family. For any of these you’ll have to contact CFA Institute via email or telephone – there is no automated process for this.

      If you prefer not to show up for the exam, e.g. if you’re worried about Covid exposure, unfortunately CFA Institute would not allow you to reschedule without losing your registration fee.

      • Up
        0

        I’m worried about the covid-19 situation in my country. If I want to defer the exam, do you know how much will it cost?

        • Zee Tan
          Keymaster
          Up
          4

          If you’re concerned about Covid cases in your country enough to consider not showing up for your exam, you have a few options:

          Hang tight and hope CFA Institute cancels the exam due to Covid cases or lockdowns in your location

          • Advantages: If this happens, you will get a free rescheduling option (or even an option for a refund if you’ve been cancelled twice)
          • Disadvantages: The outcome of this is not certain. If the exam goes ahead, you’ll have to wait for your exam window’s results to be announced before you can re-register for your next attempt. You will also have to pay again to re-register.

          Withdraw from the CFA exam and re-register as a new candidate

          • Advantages: This outcome does not depend on any CFA Institute judgement or decision, so there is more certainty to this. And you will be able to register for the next exam and not wait for the results of the exam you’re currently registered for.
          • Disadvantages: You will lose your current exam’s registration fee.

          So either way, unless CFA Institute cancels the exam rather than yourself, you’ll lose your CFA exam registration fee if you don’t want to show up for the CFA exam you registered for.

          Zee Tan voted up
          • Up
            0

            Hi Zee,

            So just to summarize, it is not possible to change the exam window and postpone it to a different date without losing the fee, is that right?

             

            Thanks!

            Adrianna

          • Zee Tan
            Keymaster
            Up
            0

            The situations where you would get a free postponement are:

            • If CFA Institute cancels your exam due to Covid
            • If you test positive for Covid within 60 days of exam day

            Other than these situations, yes, you won’t be able to postpone without losing your initial registration fee.

          • Up
            0

            Hi I want to ask about CFA deferrals. I am from Thailand and a candidate in July 2021. Now there is no announcement about the deferrals and I am worried about COVID-19 situation in my country as the number of new cases is increasing everyday, I do not get the vaccines yet and COVID-19 vaccines are insufficient now in my country. Although the number of new cases is above 3,000-4,000 people per day, the government in my country does not lock down due to the politic issue and public debt. Compared with Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, and Vietnam, the number of new cases of COVID-19 in Thailand is higher than these countries. And today, the number of new cases is highest in the world. I heard that CFA exam will not be deferred if the government in country does not lock down. What should I do?

          • Zee Tan
            Keymaster
            Up
            0

            Unfortunately, unless CFA Institute specifically singles out Thailand as a special case, there is very little you can do.

            If you can’t show up for the exam, i.e. if you literally have Covid within 60 days of the exam, or government lockdown, etc, you should be able to reschedule without incurring any further cost. Just send proof (i.e. Covid test results) to info@300hours.com, they take about 30 days to reply based on what readers have reported.

            If you prefer not to show up for the exam, e.g. if you’re worried about Covid exposure, unfortunately CFA Institute would not allow you to reschedule without losing your registration fee.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.