Good morning, I am writing to you because I cannot understand if the work experience I have is right as a relevant experience for obtaining the CFA.
Briefly, I have experience in the world of information technology in the financial services sector (for a well-known Italian bank).
- What are your day to day responsibilities?
- Do your tasks contribute to investment-making decisions?
For most people, the question comes down to whether a particular work experience is ‘investment-related’. As a guide, an ‘investment-related’ qualified work experience should involve:
- evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process; OR
- supervising those who do such analysis; OR
- teaching others on how to analyze and apply the data.
You can read more in our guide here: CFA Work Experience Requirements: A Crystal Clear Guide
Also, CFA Institute has a list of 10 questions to help you assess if your work experience is relevant. If your answer to any of these questions is ‘yes’, then your experience is likely to be accepted as relevant work experience.
- Do you construct or rebalance client portfolios, prepare financial models, or perform/evaluate independent analysis leading to an investment decision?
- Do you make investment decisions based on the application of financial, economic, or statistical data involving securities or similar investments held as part of an investment portfolio?
- Do you supervise employees who evaluate or apply financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process?
- Do you determine capital structure and funding needs through equity, debt, and alternative investments, conduct long-range financial planning, evaluate financial fundamentals, analyze and value securities for public offerings or mergers and acquisitions, and/or make asset sales and capital investment decisions?
- Are you engaged in investment/financial advising or planning for corporations, institutions, or individuals (other than yourself or your family)?
- Do you conduct asset allocation analysis or apply investment knowledge to develop, analyze, and/or explain investment policy statements or strategies designed to achieve investor goals as part of the overall investment process?
- Do you oversee legal/regulatory compliance matters in the investment profession, perform due diligence, and/or ensure that investment firms adhere to applicable laws, regulations, and professional standards of practice?
- Do you research or develop tools, models, strategies, and/or communications that assist portfolio managers and traders with investment decision and risk management?
- Are you a full-time professor or instructor teaching finance related courses and/or CFA Program curriculum, developing educational content, and engaging in research to advance the understanding of investment practice and theory?
- Do you design and implement software solutions for people, processes, and technology that directly drive investment decisions (i.e., software and/or platforms that are used to build financial models, construct, manage, and analyze portfolios, analyze risk and return)?
If you would like us to have a look at your specific case we would need more details about your role, responsibilities and day-to-day tasks.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.