So as I understand it, CAIA offers both remote exams and test centers. Just have a few questions on that, hope you can help with this!
- Is both exam methods an option to everyone, or just certain regions?
- Is there general agreement as to which is a better exam method?
- Are there any differences to, say, speed of results being released?
Remote exams, or online proctored exams, may sound clearly advantageous, but you should consider its drawback as well before you make a decision.
Online Proctored Exams Advantages
- A lot less likely to be cancelled due to Covid
- No travel or accommodation issues
- Take your exams in a familiar setting
Online Proctored Exams Disadvantages
- Requires your own equipment to meet defined technical specifications: you need to check that this will not be an issue before you agree to online proctoring!
- Technical problems when setting up your exam: Issues with software installation, internet issues can commonly occur.
- Private setting needed: If you get disturbed at any point during the exam you will be disqualified. For example, if you live in a noisy crowded household, this may not be suitable.
- You have to prepare your own room: Overall, there is a mental load on your to prepare your exam room, rather than just show up and everything’s prepared for you.
- No toilet breaks during exam: With online proctored exams, you’re allowed a toilet break only between papers, not during.
- Digital whiteboard only: For scratch paper, with online proctoring you’re only allowed the online digital whiteboard provided by the proctor, which may not be easy to use. With test centers, usually a whiteboard and pen are provided.
Overall, my opinion is that the main advantage remote proctoring has over test centers is Covid-friendliness. If that’s not a factor I would say test centers are the clear choice.
Thanks – you make some very good points and it does look like it might be easier to use test centers.
Is there a difference in the timing of results being released?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.