Student Lounge Earning Points

Earning Points

• Author
      ::

To encourage members to be awesome to each other, there is a point system in the Community, whereby generally the more helpful and active a member is, the more points this member has.

Here are the basics to how earning points work out:

• Getting a Like or LOL on any of your comments from another member gets you 1 point. Writing helpful and insightful comments is therefore key to getting loads of points – your more awesome comments will continue earning points long after you’ve made them! Similarly a particular commenter has helped you out, send that member some love by Liking or LOLing the comment.
      • Getting your post promoted is like a ‘super like’ from moderators – this gets you a bunch of points!
      • Getting a new badge gets a large number of points. This varies from badge to badge.

In general, being active and helpful will go a long, long way in accumulating points. And a manic badge hunter.

So what do points do? Several important things:

1. Reputation. The overall number of points are a good indicator of a member’s reputation and helpfulness in the Community.
      2. Ranks. When you first join the forum, you enter at an Associate rank. You will get promoted up the ranks the more points you earn.
      3. They also make you feel awesome.
      Participant
        • CFA Level 2
        Up

@ajfinance 4 times is crazy. I don’t think I could have done that.

@zee
        yea its scary to even think about it.

Man, that’s some real good and strong determination!

• Up

Thanx @sophie, article is kind an eye opener!

• Up

And a manic badge hunter.

There should be a Badge Hunter badge 😀

• Up

I know. I was looking through all your crazy badge hunting and was saying, yeah, there should be one. But then you got the Combo Breaker, so I think that counts as one.

• Up

@ajfinance having said that, my friend who works at crisil and an MBA from some B school (not that bad one) was attempting Lvl1 for 5th time, he just couldnt clear out the exam. He consecutively in last three attempts got 9-10 band and failed :S I was damn scared listening to his stories, so in fear I may be did extra hardwork i feel sorry for him but respect his determination.

wow! Respect absolutely!

• Up

Ah ha, but that’s why we don’t mention it.

• Up

Grit must be acknowledged too!!

Keymaster
          • CFA Charterholder
          Up

• Up

@ajfinance having said that, my friend who works at crisil and an MBA from some B school (not that bad one) was attempting Lvl1 for 5th time, he just couldnt clear out the exam. He consecutively in last three attempts got 9-10 band and failed :S I was damn scared listening to his stories, so in fear I may be did extra hardwork i feel sorry for him but respect his determination.

• Up

To encourage members to be awesome to each other, there is a point system in the Community, whereby generally the more helpful and active a member is, the more points this member has.

Here are the basics to how earning points work out:

• Getting a Like or LOL on any of your comments from another member gets you 1 point. Writing helpful and insightful comments is therefore key to getting loads of points – your more awesome comments will continue earning points long after you’ve made them! Similarly a particular commenter has helped you out, send that member some love by Liking or LOLing the comment.
          • Getting your post promoted is like a ‘super like’ from moderators – this gets you a bunch of points!
          • Getting a new badge gets a large number of points. This varies from badge to badge.

In general, being active and helpful will go a long, long way in accumulating points. And a manic badge hunter.

So what do points do? Several important things:

1. Weekly prizes. The top 3 weekly leaders (excluding admins and moderators) will receive a free copy of our Results Analysis Report. The weekly leader will also receive a King of the Mountain badge, and usually there is a top prize up for grabs. And bragging rights.
          2. Reputation. The overall number of points are a good indicator of a member’s reputation and helpfulness in the Community.
          3. Ranks. When you first join the forum, you enter at an Associate rank. You will get promoted up the ranks the more points you earn.
          4. They also make you feel awesome.

Method: to get a ton of LOLs, one should start a board with jokes or something (for the desperate ones)

• Up

“If you’re having CFA problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 Badges but ‘Sparta’ ain’t one”

😀

• Up

@christine agree with you. I read on one of the CFA forums about a person who was taking level 2 for the fourth time. Now that is something that requires grit and determination. One might argue that they didn’t focus, but then you can never guess their personal issues. Its a task trying to slay that beast (Level2) once, let alone 4 times :-SS

• Up

@zee
          yea its scary to even think about it.

• Up

Now m kind a scared, being Finance guy and having good hold on basics i was discounting the difficulty level of this exam!
          Thanx guyz as this one is a wakeUp call for me!

• Up

No problem @mcricky. Have a browse in the forum, or ask a question if you have any. You’re in good hands 🙂

• Up

The combo breaker is actually a very easy badge to get, as long as you realise it’s available as soon as you join. If you leave it past that it becomes much more difficult.

• Up

Hi @mcricky, we wrote about this interesting observation before in this article. Don’t worry, it’s not too late at all. But yes, CFA is not really to be underestimated regardless of background …

Viewing 17 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.